Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Module 4: Unit 6: Activity 4: Video and Reflection

The comments below are for the following video:





This video was really interesting to watch these two teacher go through their first years. Certain parts brought back memories from situations I have faced in the past, mostly mistakes I made but also some of the positive situations.

 The class introductions were interesting and the two teachers approached it a little differently. Mr. Torres did something that I a have been doing, a brief self introduction of my self before asking the students to each to do one themselves. Its a great way to personalize and humanize yourself in the eyes of the students. Ms. Felix seemed to be a little less successful engaging the students and I think it was because her ideas were a little too childish for the age level. However, putting the students in groups for activities is a great idea to get them out of their shell a bit.

I could relate to Mr. Torres' classroom management problems as the behaviour devolved as the year went on. His 'friend' approach to the students is similar to how I interact with my students and I have had problems with the class getting out of hand. As the mentor mentioned, there has to be a time to let the students know where the boundaries are. As was mentioned regarding the problems Ms. Felix was having with her students, busy work and activities that seem pointless to the students will result in boredom and eventually misbehavior. The CSI lesson that was given in Mr. Torres' class shows that if the students are made to see why something is important, or why it is useful they will become engaged and the teacher wont have to worry about dealing with negative behaviour. Ms. Felix was on the right track with the lesson about viruses.

One great idea I took from this video is was having the students to redo the assignments until they get the grade they are happy with. It gives the students more control over the lesson and their grade and it also shows them in a very direct way that if they work hard towards something they will be able to see the results.

This is an interesting video to watch and gave me a bit of encouragement in whatever situation i will find myself in in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment