Friday, October 11, 2013

NETS-S: Communication and Collaboration in the Classroom

The NETS-S that I am most interested in learning about and implementing in my classroom would have to be the second point, Communication and Collaboration. I feel that this, at least with older students I have taught, has been a part of my teaching career as I have done the poorest.

Most of my career as teacher in Korea has been with very young children, usually kindergarten. For the most part I have excelled at keeping them captivated and involved in the lessons. With older children, however because have had a little more of  a problem and many times I have resorted to doing straight up lectures without much group work or back and forth discussions between teacher and student or between classmates. This has been, in part, because of  the difficulty of the lesson, a low level of  English skills, and unrealistic expectation but also a large part of the problem has also been my lack of ability to draw them into the lesson, make them want to involve themselves, and help them become engaged in the lesson. I'm hoping that through some of the tools and skills I will hopefully learn in this course I can improve on this.

Although my experience in teaching older children and young adults has been limited I expect to teach this age group in the future and, of course, would like to be successful in doing so. While teaching young children the lessons have been more rewarding and fulfilling for both parties when everyone is engaged and collaborating together rather than a ridged one sided lesson.  I've been excited with some of the technological tools and methods that have been discussed in the first Saturday of class and reading I have done. The rest of the course and this program should be enlightening.




3 comments:

  1. I hope I am able to help you find some resources that will help you and your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sean,

    Although Ive never taught children at the kindergarten level (mad respect for you for being able to that BTW), I can relate to you somewhat with respect to not being able to connect to certain students who show little to no interest in your class. You have to realize that even with the best lesson plan, the most engaging games or videos, there will always be some students who cannot reach. It's unfortunate that we cannot really communicate with our students on a 1 on 1 basis to try and find out the reasons why they are the way they are. Keeping your lesson plans very simple, your PPTs filled with vivid images, and playing engaging songs, you are sre to capture the attention of 99% of those little rascals. As for the older students, if they are Korean, youd be surprised how much of the same things they like as their kindergarten counterparts :) At least...thats what Ive noticed!!

    May the force be with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sean, I have taught kindergarten, middle school, and now at a university, and Michel brought up a great point, no matter what age, students just want to be engaged. You will just be turning a picture of a cartoon from kindergarten, into a picture of a k-pop star for middle school/high school, and another celebrity for university. The key is to just know your audience. Finally, never get discouraged, some students just won't want to connect, don't let the rest of your class suffer on three students when you could be reaching the other 37.

    ReplyDelete