Sunday, June 8, 2014

Special Education Referral Process (Teach-now Module 2: Week 3: Activity 3)



                In preparing for this assignment to analysis the special education referral process within Korea and realizing the difficulty of getting access to someone in that system, I thought it might be useful to compare the American method of referral (with which we have become very familiar throughout this course) and what I have learned of the Korean educational system.  


                While it seems there definitely are similarities in the two countries, one of the biggest differences that stuck out to me was the method (or lack thereof) for identifying those with disabilities. It seemed that a lot more prevalent system is in place in America. Korea, it seems, relies almost solely on the parents to get the process started while because of IDEA, a number of people are in the position to do so. The Individuals with Disabilities Improvement Act (IDEA) allows a referral for evaluation to be made by teachers, principals, parents, social workers, doctors, or others concerned with the child’s welfare. While in Korea recommendations and suggestions can be made, not a whole lot will get started with out the parents will. It could be assumed that the parents would have their child’s best interest in mind and this would not be a huge issue, however, there are a number of factors that might cloud their judgment. Social stigma, denial, a feeling of shame, or a lack of education on the the topic could all be a factor. There could also be the fear that if their child is classified as someone with a disability they might not receive the level of education they would within the regular classroom.

                Within the referral process brought about by IDEA, students suspected of requiring special education will go through a process shown on the left which will ensure an initial evaluation to determine eligibility and then later a revaluation of the student to see if he/she is benefiting from the system that has been put in place. Students in America will be provided a free appropriate public education (FAPE) in the least restrictive environment. There is a system put in place for an appeal of the evaluation if the parent disagrees and process can be halted if the parent doesn't wish for it to continue.  
             
               In Korea it seems there are some similarities and a few key differences. While it seems there is a wish to have all children attending regular classes with their peers, modified curriculum for those with special needs can be used and students can spend significant time away from their class. Also it seems the parents trump all other authorities and have the final say in which classes the student will attend. Without knowing more about the situation in Korea, I would say it would benefit giving educators a little more control over at least administering test if an student is suspected of needing extra attention. It seems that although the parents do have this power it probably only be a matter of time for them to realize special education would be needed. If students are expected to keep up with the workload and subject matter of the class it would eventually catch up with them. Delaying the referral and evaluation process may cause more damage. 

Note: Because I currently work only part-time at a private academy, I didn't have direct access to someone through my school. I did however reach out to some people who work in special education in Korea and did get one person willing to answer my questions. I sent them but haven't heard back yet. When I do I will add them to my blog and to the discussion board. For now I had to rely on the answers Ian Pollard generously posted and a few other online resources I found and shared below.

Answers provided by Ian Pollard:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zhV3nrwtquMvj5cAOiP9ZvxrTGKCU0t8ABdYLiy8jjw/edit?usp=sharing

Other material:

http://tash.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/A-comparison-of-special-education-reform-in-South-Korea-and-Japan.ppt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8eG66Mzo5M

Edit: i received the answers to my questions at the last minute, you can find them here.


No comments:

Post a Comment