Monday, December 15, 2014
Module 6: Unit2: Activity 4: High Expectations and Providing Intervention
In my classroom I try to make sure the students know what is expected of them. The most basic tasks for the lesson are always somewhere on the board for all to see. As the teacher I constantly try to bring the lesson back to these goals to make sure that it something everyone leaves remembering. That being said this is the base, minimum that I expect students to get out of my class. Often there are topics and lessons that branch off from the main idea that I see as giving a fuller, more well rounded understanding. I guess I don' t really communicate this to my students as they are usually in grades 1 to 4 and i don't involve them to deeply in my full intentions. Perhaps I will try to in the future.
While I don;t necessarily share my expectations concerning the material with my students, i do when it come to their performance in class. I expect them to try their best within the context of the lesson, take risks and participate frequently in class, only use English, and treat others in the class with respect. I don't really project these as class rules but I positively reinforce this kind of behaviour and it doesn't take long for it to become common place in the classroom.
Response to Intervention, or RTI, is an approach that provides lessons with different levels to helping learners at different stages. This methods help the students progress even if they have difficulty with the material and need special attention. It helps students who are struggling reach the same level of understanding as the rest of the class. Recognizing that a student is in need of extra help early before half the year is over and it is a huge problem is probably one of the most important factors in helping struggling students. Having the class work as a team and realize that they need to work together to succeed would be a great way for the struggling students to get the extra help that they need and for other students to learn valuable social lessons.
Sources:
http://www.rtinetwork.org/learn/what/whatisrti
http://www.edutopia.org/blog/response-to-intervention-secondary-school-philip-caposey
http://www.edutopia.org/blog/intervention-rti-benefits-ben-johnson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkK1bT8ls0M
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment